Friday, May 10, 2019

Actors & Skin: John Lithgow


John Lithgow you ask?  For an Actors & Skin post you say?  Well, I wouldn't have really thought it either, until recently.  I've always loved Lithgow the actor, from his television roles including on Third Rock From The Sun, to his countless stellar performance on screen.   Some of my favorite Lithgow performances have included his roles in; Terms of Endearment, Footloose, At Play In The Fields of the Lord, Raising Cane and The World According to Garp.


As accomplished as Lithgow is on television and film, his stage work, starting with The Changing Room in 1973 that especially impressive.  It was also one of the actors projects from the 1970's that inspired this post.  A month or two ago, I DVR'd the TCM airing of the 1976 Brian De Palma psychological thriller Obsession.

Obsession (1976)

I think Obsession was the first time I saw Lithgow from the FH lens.  Lithgow was 31 at the time of filming, and was very hot as Cliff Robertson's scheming real estate partner Robert LaSalle.  Obsession was an odd, but creepy film about a man's (Robertson) obsession with his long dead wife and child.  It's very 70's in look and lighting, but a film that grabbed my attention from the get go and held on to it throughout.

The Manhattan Project (1986)

When I used to watch Third Rock From The Sun, I was usually crushing over Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but if I happen to see any repeats in the future, I will be keeping a close eye on Lithgow's character Dick Solomon.

Third Rock From The Sun (1996-2001)

Traveling Man (1989)


Dexter (2009)

No comments: