Sunday, September 1, 2019

Archie, Abs and Anti-Climatic Anticipation


When I was a kid, I always looked forward to the start of the fall TV season.  I loved the promos, the Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide magazine  Fall Previews, and the beginning of new episodes of my favorite shows.  As I got older, and television expanded beyond just the big networks, new shows start all year long and many of my favorite shows make their debut during the summer months.


That doesn't mean I'm still not a sucker for a good promo. (or a great gif featuring KJ Apa's butt crack)  KJ is my kryptonite, and the producers of Riverdale know we are suckers for shirtless shots of KJ and the cast.  The show usually delivers when it comes to showing skin, but although I love some of the characters, I haven't really been invested in Riverdale since season one.


I just actually finished last season about two weeks ago, slowly making my way through the last half of the season on Netflix.  The show is so narrowly focused on the 'fab four' that viewers who preferred the more ensemble focus of season one, only see their favorites in a few quick scenes every few weeks.  I have written before about hoping for change but if anything, it's only gotten worse.


But... this post, in addition to being a great reason to post some shirtless shots, is actually an introduction to the Blast from the Past post below.  When I was putting together the piece on another Archie actor, I couldn't think of a better intro than KJ and the car wash gang.


No comments: