Thursday, November 28, 2019

FaVorite FiVe: Gordon Nebeker


'The weather was perfect - high 80’s, low 90’s and we had no rain to speak of. I guess you could say that after our fourth trip there, we have it down pat! The lake is so large that we have yet to repeat a photo shoot site on the lake. The water level affects shoot locations and the water was up 20 feet higher than last year.'


FH may remember that I wrote about my (failed) attempt at photography when I was in high school and at University.  Although I shot a few weddings, and a few golden retrievers, I ended up giving it up.  Gordon Nebeker is one of those artists who consistently inspires me to pick it back up again.  So many artists impress me with their work, but Gordon's always inspires.  From the first images of his that I saw over a decade ago, and every shoot since.  Gordon's work captures what I feel is the essence of what I love so much about images of the male form.

Steven

So many photographers can capture a hot naked men, but Gordon's work is so much more systemic.  No matter the model, whether it be a thirty-something year old professional, or a nineteen year old newbie, I can always feel history.  Gordon encapsulates so beautifully so many classic elements of photographing the male form, but with his own unique vision and style.  Although beauty is at it's core, Gordon's focus feels bigger than any one body, or any particular body part...  Gordon 's images project the majesty of the male form, and an absolute respect for his subjects and the art form that he loves.


This absoluteness is most intensely seen and experienced  through Gordon's time in Lake Powell.  Gordon's passion comes through, not only in his incredible images, but in his passion, and the work he puts into the yearly shoot. Gordon is the heart of the Lake Powell adventures, and he always plays a lead role in helping me organize, and put together the pieces for FH each year.

For the last several years, Gordon has chronicled his passion project into a book, and this years edition is now available.  The incredible visual scrapbook is available in a large print edition, as well as an affordable e-book edition ready to download.  Check Muscles and Mountains: Lake Powell IV on Blurb HERE:

No comments: