Monday, December 16, 2019

Ornamentals by Rmark Photo

Alex

'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Ev'rywhere you go'

Ren

Although many Christmas traditions are universal, there is something specifically individual about the way American's decorate for the holidays.  It begins with when...  Some start in mid-November, others wait until after Thanksgiving.  Some wait until mid-December, while I know one family that puts up thier tree on Christmas eve, enjoying it's beautify for a mere 36 hrs before taking it down again on the 26th.

Jack

As a kid, I used to bug my mother to let me start decorating as soon I knew I might get a yes.  I learned asking before about December 8th would get an automatic no, but after the 8th, the chances of an yes began to improve. I loved the lights, the glitter and especially the colors.  Our home was was basically blanked in beige, and Christmas was the only time of year that splashes of silver and gold, blue and purple and red and green could be seen, and then felt, in our home.

Adam

My favorite ornaments were the Christmas balls.  I love how shiny they were and how glimmered in the light.  I'll never forget one Christmas when the power went out.  Even without the Christmas lights illuminating them, they still managed to glisten through the darkness.

Kit

Every Boxing Day, we went to my great aunt and uncles for dinner.  They were not really into Christmas, although did have a tree.  On that three, were those horrible thread balls.  Although they colorful, they lacked the ability to shine or reflect light.  They seemed so sad, so impotent and so joyless.  They were decorations for sure, but unlike the glass Christmas balls, there was nothing magical about them.

Max

Today, although I have my own home, and my mother is no longer with us, I follow her rule.  I decorate early, but just white lights, winter snow globes and pine branches.  The tree, and the glass Christmas balls don't come out until closer to Christmas.  Glass Christmas balls are really the personification of a Christmas ornament.

Tyler

Although they've changed in size over the years, they're one of the few ornaments that have stood the test of time.  Every year when I take out my decorations, there's usually something I loved from a previous year that now seems dated and gaudy.  Although some years the colors may change, (one year I went all blue, another all gold) those shiny balls have been apart of every Christmas I can remember.

Adrian

I love that RMark Photo's Roger chose the glass ball to be the constant in this holiday series.  I love how the shiny ornament adds a splash of festive color, especially in front of the dark background. To do a holiday series with many different models, planning became important.  Roger planned his theme months ago, when visions of beach days, not sugarplums, were dancing in people's heads. 

Jason

With planning, Roger could pull out the ornaments whenever he had a new model in the studio, and use different colors and try different poses to ensure each shot was unique.  Regular readers may recognize some of the models, I've been fortunate to feature Roger's work with Jack, Adam and Elo previously on FH.  Some of the others models, I hope to share more of in the future.

Elo



No comments: