Thursday, September 3, 2020

Sergey: A Treasured Tail


'Mermaids. Pooh I want Mermen!'


Why a theme day with 2 pages full of Mermen?  Well, there were actually four stimulating factors which led to today's ten posts.  Two of them, the work from artist's JDT Photo and badsign769 are featured in the two posts below.  The third, came from a theme which ran through the serial killer documentary I'll Be Gone in the Dark.


 I'm not sure if any of you caught the HBO series earlier this year, but it was a fascinating look into writer Michelle McNamara and her passion / obsession with The Golden State Killer.  One of the recurring visuals within the series was the creature from The Creature From The  Black Lagoon.  I'd never seen the film before, but was immediately fascinated while watching the underwater creature swimming, and hunting below.


While most Mermaids are seen as beautiful and innocent mythical creatures, this merman, had a dark side. After deciding to focus on Mermen for a feature, I knew I had to include this series from Richard Rothstein that I featured in 2018.  It was part of the Richard's homonormative narrative for fairy tales and legends, one of my all time favorite themes explored by the New York based artist.


I was extremely fortunate to have been able to share many of the shoot's from the series, one of my favorites being the mermaid and the fisherman. (Chasing Tail)  In each of the tales Richard visual told, the lead was beautifully portrayed by model and photographer Sergey Sheptun. I have been fortunate to have featured many of Richard and Sergey's collaborations over the last two years, some of my favorites being the fairy tale series.


Sergey was next on my list for A Baker's Dozen, so today seemed the perfect day to post.  Check it out on THE NEXT PAGE HERE:

No comments: