Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Who's Who in TV?


Most days, I hate those 'suggested topics' on Twitter.  I follow who I choose to follow and am not really that interested with being 'spammed' on my timeline by posts and photos of people that I didn't choose to follow.  Sometimes however, like with this post, they do inspire a story idea...   

A couple of weeks ago, one of my suggested topics included an image of actress Jessica Collins.  I didn't initially remember who she was, but certainly recognized Jessica's beautiful face.  A quick Google search had me remembering I may have seen her years ago on television, most likely, from her turn on The Young and the Restless.  That wasn't however, the only thing I discovered.


Jessica also used to star on the ABC television soap Loving.  I don't think I ever saw a single episode of Loving, but I did remember crushing over one of it's stars.  This particular soap star, also happened to be the ex-husband of actress Jessica Collins...  I've written before how much of a magazine lover I used to be.  When I was a kid, as soon as got my allowance, I'd walk to the drugstore near our home and by the latest celebrity magazine.


The late 80's and early 90's were heaven for those of us who loved magazines devoted television and movie stars.  One of my favorites was Modern Screen's Who's Who in TV.  I loved the magazine because it devoted an entire page to every show on television with bios of the main cast members.  The first three quarters of each issue were devoted to Prime-Time shows, but the last quarter was devoted to the stars of daytime soaps.


Even better that following the stars I watched and loved, was discovering hot hunks from shows I didn't watch.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't watch Loving who remembers seeing images of the ultra sexy Robert Tyler who appeared on Loving.   Tyler was former model and in addition to his great body and facial structure, had the sultry and seductive expressions down pat.


Prior to acting, Tyler had a successful modeling career through much of the eighties under the credit of Barry Kaufman.  I didn't initially know this, but when searching for Tyler, kept coming up with images of Kaufman.  Eventually, I was able to confirm they were indeed the same person.  Those eyes, and that jaw should have told me right away!


If you weren't turned on by Robert's images, his character's name had the ability to get you heated without even seeing his face.  On Loving, his character's name was Trucker McKenzie...  Something about the name Trucker was enough to get one's engine revving.  

Loving

Although I still enjoy buying and reading a great magazine, since the internet, they're just not the same.  They don't have the ability to break news like they used to and the last magazine subscription that I had was to the still missed print edition of Entertainment Weekly.  I remember Modern Screen leaving the newsstands in the mid to late 90's but I'm sure that many who grew up in the 80's and 90's have fond memories of celebrity magazine. 

No comments: