Monday, December 19, 2022

J.B. Smoove: Scene Stealer


' I steal scenes, I steal opportunities. I am the ultimate thief. I got sticky fingers, man. They all call me The Thief.'


I love The Great British Baking Show. I look forward to it's premiere ever year.  It was a bright spot during the beginning of the pandemic, and I binged most of the earlier seasons.  That being said, I've yet to find an American baking show anywhere near as interesting.  I think the American versions miss one of the key components of British show is comfort, something many get from baking, but not from flashy and wel- lit knock offs of the original. 

I did however,  watch the holiday edition of the US based Baking It.  I only expected to watch a few minutes, thinking I might enjoy the opening with the always hilarious Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph.  The two gifted comedians didn't go for comedy however, they went for folksy.  Not exactly comfort, but in the ball park.  I really didn't get into the show, but I did get into J.B Smoove, one of the four celebrity guests.

I find Smoove incredibly hot, mostly because he's so damned talented and funny.  Smoove elevates every scene and every show he's in, even some really bad ones.  I always intend to start, but have yet to try Curb Your Enthusiasm, but first caught Smoove on the short-lived CBS comedy The Millers.  It wasn't a great show, it was actually a bad show, but Smoove was hilarious and was the bright spot in  otherwise lack luster half-hour sit-com.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

I've watched Smoove elevate many shows with his talent and ability to steal a scene from almost any actor.  I've seen him do it in movies and on television shows like Baking It, The Millers and the really really lame sit-come, 'Til Death.  I think part of Smoove's ability to steal so many scenes is his experience as a comedy writer.  

Life In Pieces

Smoove knows the comedy core of every scene and bit.  Smoove wrote for Saturday Night Live from 2003-2007, writing with Seth Myers for not only Poehler and Rudolph, but also many of my other favorites from the time including; Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader ane Kristen Wiig.  I look forward to whenever I his name in the credits and always know, no matter how bad the project, Smoove will elevate every scene he appears in.

'Til Death (2008-2010)

I don't think Smoove has done any on-screen nudity, but he has been shirtless on a number of his appearances on television. 

The Millers (2013-2015)

The Millers caps via ausCAPS

No comments: