Saturday, June 24, 2023

ACTORS & Skin: Treat Williams


'I define success as being comfortable with yourself and your life. And that is about as good as it gets, really.'
Treat Williams


I have a running list of actors I want to feature in my 'Actors & Skin' series and Treat Williams was near the top.  When Williams died earlier this month, I wanted to do something on the site, but a simple R.I.P post didn't seem enough.  I know some may think celebrating his nude scenes may not be the most tasteful way to do this, but this after all FH, and somehow, I'm guessing the actor might just approve.


I came to appreciate the actor's talent late.  Although I certainly knew of him, I did not watch Everwood, and didn't remember ever really seeing him on-screen. I do remember seeing Williams on a few episodes of Brothers & Sisters, but I didn't really pay that close attention to his character.  

I think it was back in 2013 that I first really noticed his talent, his beauty and his on-screen magmatism.   I had watched the movie The Killing Kind on TCM, and it had me wanting see more, and post about it's lead actor John Savage.  I ended up doing a post on Savage, (HERE) and in the research process,  watched 1979's Hair for the first time.  I think I may have seen  pieces on TV before, but had never seen the film in it's entirety. 


Williams was a stand-out as Berger, and even under the wig, his amazing face with his matinee good looks could not be covered or hidden.  Since then, I followed his career a little more closely, and caught him in several movies and television series.  Most recently I really loved his turn as the dad of the Mitchell family in the Hallmark The Christmas House movies.  I loved how open and gentle the character was to his sons and his son's husband. 

The story of William's appearance in The Empire Strikes Back, (above) also speaks to his character.  Williams just wanted hang out on the set, said he thought it would be fun.  He ended up taking on the uncredited role as one of the officers in the Rebel Forces in the ice planet scenes.  Williams happily worked as an extra on the film, just to have some fun, and be part of it.  Not many name actors, especially today, would take uncredited role as an extra just for the experience.


As much as I enjoyed his performances, I was truly struck with the outpouring of love Williams received from his friends and co-stars after his death.  I don't think there's ever been a celebrity I've seen gifted with us much genuine love and praise for what a caring, decent person he was.  I've seen huge stars, who after their death are praised for their gifts and talent.  Williams seemed universally loved, and touch so many he worked with due to his caring and kindness.  So many reflected on the time he took to get to know them and the stories he used to share.


I was especially moved by actors Jonathan Bennett and Brad Harder who co-starred with Williams in The Christmas House movies.  Bennett wrote about how important it was for Williams to show (both emotionally and physically) other fathers the love a dad can have for his son's husband.  So many others shared similar stories of his spirit.  

The Ritz (1976)

'Evading a mob contract on his life, a heterosexual man winds up hiding out at a homosexual bathhouse.'


Even with his classic movie star looks, Williams took on many different roles, often preferring interesting roles and character parts to being the lead.  One of his early films, The Ritz, had Williams showing off his both his talent, and his good looks and hot body.


Although he wasn't nude in the film, he spent a fair amount of time in just a short towel.  Williams did drop the towel a few times on-screen with nude scenes in several films.  Check out the highlights in the SKIN part of this post on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

No comments: