Thursday, April 12, 2018

Pilate's Dream


'Then I saw thousands of millions
Crying for this man.
And then I heard them mentioning my name,
And leaving me the blame.'


My love for Sara Bareilles and especially Norm Lewis had me checking out Jesus Christ Superstar last Sunday night. I lasted less than hour before turning the channel. It seemed really well done, but I think I need to give it a shot at another time. Ben Daniels is a great actor, but my passion for the song Pilate's Dream stems from hours of listening to Dennis DeYoung's version on his 1994 album 10 On Broadway. The former member of Styx has a powerful voice that cuts to the core of a song and I listened to this cd for hours upon end when when I was young. I used the Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Webber song myself as an audition piece and although I never hit the last note with DeYoung's power, it helped get me a few roles.


The cd has been missing for a long time after many moves. Hearing the song again though, had me 'adding to cart' on Amazon today. If you want to listen Dennis' version for yourself, there is a concert recording on Youtube HERE:, but the best version is the cd version which you can listen to free, along with the entire 10 On Broadway album on spotify HERE:

Styx on tour (1981)
l-r Chuck Panozzo, John Panozzo, Tommy Shaw, James 'J.Y.' Young and Dennis DeYoung

No comments: