Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Ewoud Broeksma: An Unseen World


'Whether competing locally or winning medals at the Olympics, athletes shot by photographer Ewoud Broeksma are captured with reverence, as champions at the top of their game. Anyone searching the internet for images of the male form has undoubtedly come across images from photographer Ewoud Broeksma. The Netherlands artist has been a leader in capturing athletes and Olympians for over three decades. Ewoud captures his subjects, during the peak of their athletic careers, in breathtaking and respectful images immortalizing the body at it’s peak.'


I was saddened recently to read of the death of photographer Ewoud Broeksma. I was fortunate to have had talked and interviewed Ewoud artist back in 2011 for an issue of tMf Magazine. Ewoud liked how I told stories with FH and often sent on images for me to check out and respond to. Whenever I asked Ewoud about featuring his images he was always eager, but careful. When it came to a model feature, he was fully on board as long as the model was.


When it came to showcasing one of his themes, he always reminded me he wanted the focus on the aestheticism captured, and to ensure the story was not erotically focused. (see my last post from last year HERE:) Ewoud valued the relationships and trust he earned from the athletes he shot, and said it was his reputation for both professionalism and his focus on shooting his model as athletes.


I didn't initially agree with Ewoud and mentioned a few times that with images of the nude male form had a sexual element. Ewoud was quick to say that he was fine with however people responded, but his intent was celebrate the passion and energy the athletes put into their sport and physique and his job was to capture and celebrate this passion through his work. Below is a bit of my 2011 interview with Ewoud.


'When I do a photo shoot, I'm a producer, not a consumer. I know that when the model/sportsman walks out the door he has become an ambassador for my work. Before someone enters the studio I reckon they have been thinking and talking about the shoot a long time. I should not disappoint the models and the people behind them. '


'When world famous speed skaters were allowed to leave the Soviet Union, some came to the Netherlands to earn some “valuta” in this type of sport. Some happened to stay at the home of two of my male friends who now own a male-art gallery. The Russians were kind and open-minded. Glasnost and perestroika in 1990 did some good too in this aspect as they were willing to pose for me. Local media got interested; speed skating and speed skaters are very popular in my country. I've been keeping up sports in my work ever since. I was offered a photo column in a daily newspaper that opened many doors for me.'


'There is a hierarchy in “easy to portray” sportsmen. Undoubtedly, on top are track & field athletes. Volley ballplayers are easygoing as well as cyclists. Football players (soccer) are average. Swimmers are not easy to portray nude. Probably because they're used to dressing and undressing under a towel in front of (mostly) family and other spectators. They're not used to being naked, funny enough, and prolong that attitude in the studio. Men in team sports are likely to pose naked quite easily. If one does it, the rest follows. I must say; my work is known here and there so sportsmen that know what to expect, and to my delight; respect it. They do things for me they wouldn't do for a starting photographer.'


'The message is clear; under one's clothes a usually unseen world is hiding, that we, at least I, would like to see. To make it non-erotic, I ask the models to pose in the same position twice, dressed and then undressed. It is important their facial expression does not change. I noticed that many of the guys posing shave their private area, not only the sporty guys. More and more tattoos are popping up also, there is this fashion thing going on underneath as well.'



1 comment:

mwphotomd said...

Thanks for the post! He was one of my favorites to follow and we will miss him and his high quality work. Mark, IG:mwphotomd