Monday, July 27, 2020

A Baker's Dozen: Austin Wild



'When I saw my first image of 21 Miami model Austin Wild I was struck with how strong and striking he photographs. Austin has an incredible body, but his face is the face of fantasy, dreams and great art.'


I first spotted images (including the two shots above) of model Austin Wild on his Model Mayhem portfolio back in 2013.  I got in touch right away, but after a few week without a response, figured he wasn't interested on being on the site.  A few days later, I got a short message thanking me for writing and inviting me to use any of his images that I liked..  The quote above is from my first piece featuring Austin's work in January of 2014. (Wild About Austin)

Remaining Images by Gordon Nebeker

I wasn't the only one captivated and intrigued by Austin's look.  After seeing my piece on FH, photographer Gordon Nebeker also checked out Austin's port, and after noticing he lived fairly close to home in Florida, Gordon contacted Austin about working together.   Gordon and Austin clicked immediately, and over the next several years, they worked together multiple times.  Gordon also graciously shared images from each of their shoots together.


'No question that Austin won the Genes Jackpot Lottery! He says his father is Spanish and his mother is Cuban and that is a very attractive and powerful combination.'


With Austin's striking features, and his beautiful brown eyes, his face, as I stated, was the perfect inspiration for creating great art and imagery.  Austin was a natural in front of the camera, and his long, lean body created incredibly elegant lines and poses.  Gordon knew exactly how to utilize Austin's skill and assets within their work together.  Gordon shot Austin sensually splayed across his furniture, in his signature fabric, and underwater work, as well as new and unique spaces and locations.


'After hearing that a close friend had rented a house in Mexico to celebrate his birthday, Gordon couldn't possibly let him celebrate alone. Then... after he saw some photos of the house, he told his friend that it was far too great a photographic backdrop to let pass by. Cue Gordon getting in touch with Austin.'


In late 2016, Gordon and Austin's most amazing collaboration occurred south of the border.   The trip to Mexico, and the blend of location, architecture and Austin produced over 14,000 image that I was able to feature over three posts in early 2017.  With so many incredible images of Austin, Gordon couldn't let so many go unseen and published a book, Oh Mexico chronicling the shoot and trip. A copy of the book sits proudly on a bookshelf in my bedroom.


Austin had a bright future ahead of him.  He had interest from agencies about fashion work, and his lust for adventure had him leaving Florida and moving to seek out other creative opportunities.  Sadly, some of you may have read my brief tribute to Austin early last year after Gordon informed me of his sudden death.  While all deaths are sad, there is added poignancy when young lives, with so much ahead of them, come to an abrupt, and tragically premature ending.


Despite his meeting all the criteria, I paused briefly about including Austin in this series, but after running it by Gordon, I decided to go ahead.  Gordon felt Austin would want to be included, and reminded me how proud of Austin was of work, and the visual's he'd created.  Austin is also such an important piece of the site's  history, and his work never failed to inspire me, and motivate me as I pieced his stories together.


Austin Wild on FH:

Sheer (2014)



No comments: