Monday, November 16, 2020

A Perambulate in Provincetown: Juanzito by Bob Burkhardt


'I was a bit nervous because this was my first actual photo shoot and I didn't know what to expect.'


There are certain lessons in life, we sadly have to learn again and again.  I learned a long time ago never to judge a book by it's cover.  Even so, I still often struggle, especially when presented with a spectacular package.  When I first saw images of Juanzito from photographer Bob Burkhardt, I was instantly struck by his look and incredible beauty. 



Juanzito has an incredibly body, a toned physique clearly the result of dedication, commitment and hours and hours of hard work. Juanzito is also blessed with a handsome face, a great ,welcoming smile and beautifully expressive eyes.   I wouldn't have initially thought he'd be especially nervous about having his picture taken. Juanzito's nerves weren't really about his appearance however, they were more about the possible impact on his life and career.


When he first came in contact with Bob, Juanzito was active in the military, and the nerves were about the possible implications of a photo shoot, especially given all of the restrictions about what he was, and wasn't allowed to do.  Still, when Bob sent him a message saying they should talk, Juanzito was intrigued. Bob explained his speciality, and described what kind of shoot he'd like to do, and after a few messages back and forth, a shoot was scheduled in Provincetown.


'Bob had told me that he specializes in fine art nudes and fitness photography and asked if I felt comfortable doing nudes.  At the time, I wasn't comfortable doing any nudity, especially given I was still active in the military, and that was not allowed.  The most I was comfortable doing was an underwear shoot.  Bob was great and very respectful and came up with different concepts that fit with my boundaries and comfortability.'


When Bob first saw  Juanzito's shots on Facebook, he was immediately struck by his photos.  Juanzito was living in Boston at the time, and they agreed to meet while Bob was on vacation in Provincetown.  Juanzito took the ferry over, and despite his nerves, says that Bob quickly put him at ease.  The day began with Bob taking the new model on a mini tour, perambulating around town.  Not only did give them the opportunity to talk and discuss the shoot, it also gave Bob the opportunity to scope out locations for them to shoot. 


'Juanzito was shy and quiet at first but that passed as we started talking and working together. I enjoyed watching him turn heads as we walked through town.'


'Given it was my first photo shoot, my level of confidence wasn't the best and I was scared of taking pictures, especially of taking pictures by a photographer known for his great and tasteful work. Bob was very understanding just encouraged me to relax told me to be myself. I kept thinking to myself. 'Gosh, this is much harder than I thought.'  I had taken creative photos of myself, but it is so much different when someone takes a photo of you.'


This shoot, and the experience of working with Bob served as the beginning of Juanzito's journey into fitness modeling.  Because of his work with Bob, Juanzito was contacted by multiple photographers and the shoot not only opened doors and opportunities, it also helped him feel more confidence in himself, and with being in front of the camera. 





No comments: