Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Horror Hunks: Brad Rijn in A Return to Salem's Lot

'A man and his son vacation to the quiet vampire populated town of Salem's Lot.'

Last year, when putting together my tribute to Stephen King, I did a pretty comprehensive dive into all the skin featured in motion pictures based on King's work. (HERE:)  1987's A Return to Salem's Lot doesn't have any male nudity, it's actually not even written by King.  The screenplay, written by James Dixon and the film's director Larry Cohen was based on characters from King's novel and the first film.

When I was looking this year, for an actor connected to King's work to feature, I was intrigued with learning more about actor Brad Rijn.  Rijn plays Clarence, a hot, but creepy gas station owner in Salem's Lot Maine.  He doesn't have a big part, but he certainly makes an impression.

Rijn with Michael Moriarty

I was interested in Rijn as I was familiar with his work from the 1982 flick Smithereens.  TCM often plays Smithereens late night during it's cult series of films, and I've DVR'd it several times, forgetting that I've seen it before.  Brad, credited as Brad Rinn in the film shows a bit of butt crack, but I always think when I record it, he showed more.  Must just be be wishful thinking.

Smithereens (1982)

The 1982 drama was directed by Susan Seidelman and follows a narcissistic young woman from New Jersey who comes to New York City to join the waning punk subculture. She finds she's more gravitated towards Los Angeles and engages in a number of parasitic relationships in order to pay her way across country. Smithereens marked the debut of Oscar-nominated screenwriter Ron Nyswaner (Philadelphia) and features a score by The Feelies. Smithereens is a precursor to Seidelman's next film, Desperately Seeking Susan; both films share similar themes of female identity and self-reinvention.. 


Rijn's character Paul lives in a van and I one of his first scenes is waking up naked after having sex, opening the back doors, then cleaning up and shaving in the front seat of the vehicle.  I think this scene is why I always incorrectly remember a nude scene which actually didn't exist. 

Perfect Strangers (1984)

After Smithereens, Rijn worked in only four other films between 1984 and his last film, (A Return to Salem's Lot) in 1987.   I have no idea what happened to Rijn or his character since, but wonder why, with his talent and incredibly hot look, why he didn't continue in the business.  He did have a 'sort of' nude scene in 1984's Perfect Strangers, but you only see the slightest hint of ass in the love scene.

Special Effects (1984)

Although there was no nudity from Rijn in 1984's Special Effects, I did enjoy the film and Rijn was exceptionally hot, especially in the scene his briefs. There must have been a special connection between the actor and writer, director Larry Cohen. 

Update:  Thanks to Hawthorne from DC, there is a quick butt scene that wasn't in the copy of the film I saw, thank you!


 Some of Cohen's more recent writing credits include Cellular and Phone Booth but he wrote and directed every film that Rijn appeared in, including Return to Salem's Lot, after the actors debut in Smithereens.   I'll keep Googling, but if anyone knows more about what Rijn has been up to the last few decades, I love to know more.

No comments: