Saturday, November 12, 2022

Retro-Optic: Nick Floyd by SedatedPhotosLAX


'Although Nick is young, he definitely loves a vintage feel to his photographs and that is something that truly sets him apart.'


The fascination with 'retro' and 'vintage' elements, items and things is something I've only recently began to appreciate.  I've written before about my previous aversion to old movies and television shows, especially anything filmed in black and white. I avoided them like the plague!  After some subtle nudging from some friends, I'm now a convert with TCM one of my favorite channels. 

I think in part it's because I grew up surrounded by vintage and retro colors, home décor, furniture and clothing.  Although I grew up in the 80's, my family home was definitely a few decades behind.  My parents were thrifty, they had to be, and believed nothing should be thrown out.  Everything we had, now called vintage, I just thought of as old.   I was embarrassed to have friends over given the artwork in our house consisted of cheap copies of the blue boy and pink lady paintings.


As I grew older however, I grew to appreciate so many of the things that I once was embarrassed about.  Some of my favorite posts on the site are focused on classic horror and softcore erotica from the 70's and 80's and I find myself drawn to those mustache wearing studs who graced the pages of Playgirl back in the day.  Within the visual arts however, creating a vintage look is more than just shooting with a 70's style couch, or an avocado green refrigerator.  Creating a retro feel is about color, it's about attitude and it's about creating a vintage vibe beautifully conveyed to the viewer through the visuals. 


I certainly felt that vibe, and strongly, when I saw my first images of model Nick Floyd from Tony Xaiver from SedatedPhotosLA.  This past summer, while working on a piece featuring model Gymn0s, (HERE:) I spent quite a bit of time exploring his Instagram.  While pursuing his portfolio, I was especially taken with GymnOs work with Tony.  This had me quickly heading over to spend time on Tony's Instagram as well.


When checking out some of Tony's recent updates, I was visually drawn to one of his images of Nick Floyd. The shot, of Nick leaning on a ladder, is the image that I used as today's pic of the day.  I loved how Tony captured Nick, especially the pose with Nick leaning against the wooden ladder.  The shot captured the incredible curves and lines of Nick's tight torso and long legs contrasted with the fixed object, the ladder, beside him.

I also really loved the vibrant pop of red and black from Nick's jacket.  As I continued to scroll through Tony's imagery, I saw more images of Nick with the fringe sleeved jacket and the retro vibe was both beautifully palatable and dramatic.  For Tony, creating that retro 80's vibe came naturally.  In addition having Nick fully immersed in the theme, he too was influenced by visuals of the male form from the 70's and 80's. 


'I came of age during the height of Burt Reynolds posing for Cosmo Magazine and Playgirl Magazine being hugely popular. So for me, I definitely tend to favor pictorials that are more editorial and have a retro vibe to them. I am especially drawn to bright colors and vivid lighting.'


I began FH as a way of channeling my creative impulses, something my job and Psychology degree doesn't often permit or allow.  For Tony, photography is a passionate hobby, one that not only allows him to be creative, but also one that remarkably incorporates some of the skills he utilizes within his full-time carer.  As a practicing physician, Tony's knowledge of anatomy has also helped his understanding of the concept of angles, bodily asymmetry and how to accentuate strengths or camouflage weaknesses.


'Almost everyone has a "good" side, and most people are not natural born models in the sense that they do not usually move easily. So I really like to give direction and make very subtle adjustments in angles, etc to capture a good photograph.'


Tony isn't the first physician whose work behind the camera I've had the privilege to feature on the site.  Many of the artists that I feature have, or have had, stressful day jobs, jobs that require a much needed creative outlet.  Tony is however, one of just a few artists that I've featured that have followed in the foot-steps of a photographer parent.  In so many fields, you find people who have followed in their parent's path.  Art is such a unique form or expression that even within families it's usually uniquely conveyed. 


'My father was a freelance photo-journalist and always picked up a lot of side gigs. He especially liked celebrity events or US Congressional events. When I was about 10, I vividly remember attending a red carpet premiere for a Robert Redford movie. I was wearing two cameras with very large lenses and they looked huge on me; when Robert Redford walked down the paparazzi red carpet section, he noticed me, came over and shook my hand -- I think he must have thought it amusing to see a little kid as a "paparazzi." 


Despite his early experiences with imagery of the nude male form, for Tony, shooting only started shooting men fully nude this past year.  For Tony, nude photography definitely requires a different skill set to balance the artistic elements and the fact that there is no clothing to direct your gaze to other places. Tony also describes himself as extremely respectful of boundaries, not to mention the motivations of those who pose for him.

It's important to Tony to have the trust of those he works with. Some models are looking for wide-spread exposure, others, desire the photos just for themselves or a partner. With whoever he shoots however, the goal is to capture their inner 'sex appeal' and to empower them through the images they create together.  This is especially to the men Tony shoots who are not professional models and are so often amazed they can be captured in a way they never envisioned themselves. 


Nick Floyd however, isn't a stranger when it comes to being in front of a camera's lens.  It was actually Nick's work with one Johnmar, a colleague of Tony's, that had initially inspired him to reach out to Nick about collaborating together.  After a shoot was arranged, they both agreed that the concept would be a retro/vintage vibe. Both then went to work, putting together everything, down to the smallest details, they need to create their vintage vision. 

As a design student, Nick was able to bring a lot clothing that he had designed and made himself.  Nick sewed his own outfits from thrifted clothing to ensure the vintage feel looked as real as possible.  With Nick on top of the fashion, Tony focused on Nick's style, pulling in soft colors to enhance the atmosphere of the photos.  Tony especially loved the unique creative collaboration, with he and Nick both bringing so many different elements together into the studio.


'I LOVED the vintage shoot I did with Tony, it was definitely one of my favorites  Working with Tony was very fun and he worked a lot with me to build a vision together rather than separate,  It was a night shoot to beat the heat wave we were in. Tony was really fun to work with and open to any idea I had. It was all around a really great experience.'



No comments: