Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Horror Hunks: Tom McBride in Friday the 13th Part 2


'Five years after the events of the first film, a summer camp next to the infamous Camp Crystal Lake is preparing to open, but the legend of Jason is weighing heavy on the proceedings.'


When it comes to the genre of horror films , the Friday the 13th series was one of the most popular.  The second, Friday the 13th Part 2 was one of the highest rated horror flicks from 1981, just behind, An American Werewolf in London and another sequel, Halloween Part 2.   


The first film from the franchise that I saw was Part 2.  It was the in the late 80's, and I was still a in my teens.  It was at a friends house on a Friday night and it was my first introduction to Jason Voorhees, and one of my early introductions to horror films.  I was scared shitless, during the movie, and walking home in the darkness later that night.


Watching the film really impacted me a few years later when I was working as a counsellor assistant at a summer camp.  I was still in high school at the time, and was really not prepared for the responsibility.   I remember thinking about the film, and Jason, every time I was walking through the woods.  The worst moment, was during an overnight campout.  Most of the kids were scared from the ghost stories we were telling around the campfire and I think I was just as freaked out as the 9 and 20 year olds.


Although the film certainly had an impact, I really didn't go back to it, or the series, until I was much older.  I was interested in watching again after seeing the series airing on AMC over Halloween.  I didn't want to watch the censored television versions, so ended up buying the series of films on DVD.


The viewing led to as series of posts on FH.  Many, featuring hot nude models with their take on Jason, and some of the film, and it's cast.  Three of the most notable include; The Climax Conclusion from 2014, The Sexualization of a Psychopath in 2017 and a Bevy of Butchers in 2022.   I've also done Horror Hunk pieces featuring most of the male nudity I found from the over a dozen films from the franchise. 


'Nothing spoils a party like a drunk in wheelchair.'
Mark


One hunk from Friday the 13th that I haven't yet uncovered, is actor Tom McBride who played Mark in the second film.  Mark was the character in the wheelchair whose death really came as a surprise.  I  think many of you remember Marks death, having a machete poked through his skull, then having his wheelchair roll of the porch, and down a long flight of stone stairs.  


When I was young, there used to be things you sort of count on when it came to horror films.  Generally, most didn't kill off kids, cute dogs, the elderly or someone in a wheelchair.  We were lured in to believe these characters would remain safe until the end.  This made Mark's death all the more shocking.


I didn't know much about the actor who played Mark until this year.  I'm guessing some of you know his journey, and his death, at just 42.   A little research however, led me to a documentary on the actor which was both sad, yet fascinating to watch.  It is also an excellent look back at the 80's and 90's when most gay actors remained tightly in their closets.

Although McBride never appeared nude in a feature film, he seemed to relish exposing both his body, and his life in the film.  Hot male bodies, having one of his own, and eventually photographing them, were important parts of Tom's life.  You can check out more of Tom and my research, and learn more about the film, on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

No comments: