Saturday, December 30, 2023

John Mar: Fringe Benefits

Daniel

We all remember as kids, squinting our eyes and looking at the Christmas tree.  I still do it each year, and I'm sure many of you do as well.  The blurry vision in so many ways illustrated the holiday fantasy we all had as kids.    Squinting seemed to make the lights look even more magical, and the dreamlike quality remains a powerful part of magic of the season. 


Sure it wasn't real, it was a distorted view, yet it somehow epitomized a feeling.  I think the squint induced vision is the reason I love holiday imagery, and the magical feel, what I try to emulate with my holiday posts.  When we think of New Year's Eve, many of us have similar images, smells and sound that run through our head.  For some reason, I always hear big band music.  I don't think I've heard big band music live, or been to a New Year's Eve party with one playing, yet there always seemed to be one playing in so many movies and TV shows.

Danny

I also think of glitter and glamour, gold and black balloons, gold and silver streamers and long glittering fringe curtains.   I've been to quite a few New Year's Eve parties, and a few at bars and clubs had shiny decorations.  Most of the parties however, were in people's living rooms, and didn't have the shimmering lights and glittery curtains that so many of us visualize with our imagination.  

I think that's why our imagination is so powerful, and what we visualize, even when squinting, is far more magical and stimulating that what we actually see.  I think photographer John Mar know this well.   His images, although crystal clear, evoke the glittering, festive fantasy we felt when looking at blurry but bright holiday lights.


For New Year's Eve, John shot a group of visually diverse, but similarly hot, group of male models to ring in the new year.   Each model seems to pop in front of the glittery curtains, highlighting their their beautiful bodies and skin and their unique look and fashion choices.  Although they all posed in front of a similar shiny background,  John beautifully brought out their personality and their individuality in each of his images.  See more of John's NYE work on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

Juan

'I love sharing Christmas and New Year's with my family and friends. Christmas music gives me a special energy! Seeing the Christmas tree reminds me of many beautiful memories from my childhood.'


Out holiday hunk in front of the purple fringe is Juan, who got his start modeling in Toronto back in 2015.  A photographer saw Juan's images on-line, and wisely got him into the studio for a shoot.  Juan and John Mar also connected on-line through Instagram and got together earlier this year to shoot.  They shot a 'disco' theme which Juan used as part of his 30th birthday invitations. 


'He is very patient, kind, respectful. I like doing shoots with him because he is always willing to listen to new ideas. I like that people participate in my crazy things! '
Juan

Spike

'My favorite part of New Year's Eve is that New Year's kiss!!! It’s magical'


Spike shares that he's always been a ham in front of the camera.  As a kid, he would set up pretend photo shoots and get lost in the fantasy of the moment.  When he got older, the fantasy became a reality when he began modeling for real.  His motivation to model nude was personal, and connected to helping him work through his own struggles with guilt and shame.  

Being sex and body positive is part of why Spike continues to love his time in front of the camera.  Spike has especially enjoyed working with John who he describes as not only being exceptionally kind, but also respectful and professional through the creative process. 



No comments: