Saturday, March 4, 2023

Prime Time Supporters: Tommy Dewey


I watched a bit of The Mindy Project when it originally aired, but mostly episodes from the shows last few seasons.   I just started binging the first season, and I'm in awe of the selection of boyfriends who were Mindy's men in those first 24 episodes.  Mindy Kaling could have been reading my mind with some of her casting choices, with some of my favorite hunks, and favorite actors, in the running for Mindy's heart. 


Starting with Bill Hader, not to mention Ike Barinholtz, Chris Messina, Mark Duplass, B.J Novak and  my dream husband, Anders Holm, all were part of Mindy's life that first season.  One of my favorite of Mindy's boyfriend's was Josh, played by an actor I should have known, but didn't, actor Tommy Dewey.


If you watched and remember that first season, you might remember Josh wasn't really the best of boyfriends.  The sports lawyer's cheating came to a head at Mindy's Christmas party and Josh was sadly given the boot.  I would have forgave him, not to take him back, but to keep around as a friend with benefits.  From what we knew of Josh, he would have been up for it.  Tommy Dewey is adorable, especially when wearing his glasses!


If you didn't catch Dewey on The Mindy Project, you may have seen him guesting on a number of television shows including; Grey's Anatomy, What I Like About You, Cold Case and Mad Men.  It appears his stint as Josh may have been his break-out role as it began a series of regular roles on television including three years (2015-2018) on the comedy, drama Casual. 


Although Tommy and Josh is now gone from Mindy's life, I can tell from the actors IMDB page, that he  pops up again a few times down the road.   Season 1 of The Mindy Project is really good television, something I didn't really get when it originally aired.  My only criticism is the sudden and jolting casting changes that seem to occur every episode or two. 

There are several characters and actors, including Dr. Shulman, (Stephen Tobolowsky) Shauna, (Amanda Setton) and Mindy's best friends, (Anna Camp and Kelen Coleman) who I really liked who all abruptly disappear in the show's first season.  Most are never mentioned, and all could have provided great stories if kept around, even if not regulars.  Getting back to Tommy Dewey, although I never saw him on Casual, I did discover he did a few nude scenes on the show.

Casual 


No comments: