Sunday, December 31, 2023

Unforgettable

Helmut Berger by Helmut Newton

Helmut Berger
1944-2023

Although I did do a couple of R.I.P post this past year, (including Helmut Berger & Treat Williams) for the most part, I stopped doing them on a regular basis.  It seemed that almost every week a notable person passed away.  I like FH being a bit of an escape, so decided to note some of the significant stars and celebrities we lost in one year end post.  Most of the men in this post have been previously featured on FH. 

Treat Williams

Treat Williams
1951-2023

There were so many names on my initial list that  also did a part 2 (HERE:) This post features other men and women who had a meaningful impact on my life and experiences.  There were other major stars who passed away, but the ones I noted were the ones I felt some sort of connection with their  lives, or with their work.

Billy Miller

Billy Miller
1979-2023

The only role I ever saw actor Billy Miller is was his time as Billy Abbott on The Young and the Restless.  I've watched the soap on and off, mostly off, over the years, but Miller was magic on screen.  His energy, his timing, his on-screen presence was undeniable.  He lifted every actor he was in a scene with, seemingly with little effort.  We've since learned, have we have with so many, that excursion of energy, especially for those struggling with mental health issues, always takes a toll. 


Tyler Christopher

Tyler Christopher
1972-2023

I knew Tyler Christopher initially due to his modeling work.  I'd seen these images, (who I believe are by Greg Gorman) before I ever saw him on television.   I've never watched General Hospital, but I did watch Tyler during his stint on Days of our Lives.  Reports near the end of his stint were that he was struggling, and soon reports of issues arose.  It wasn't long after that other issues and arrests were reported.  We talk a lot about addiction, as we should, but we also need to discuss trauma and it connection to substance abuse. When we don't, the cycle continues. 


Julian Sands 

Julian Sands
1958-2023

I loved actor Julian Sands, so many great performances and movie moments.  I still remember the impact of that bath in the pond scene from A Room With  A View. (HERE:)  Sands' death was hard to accept because how he left the planet.  Having gone missing last January, most knew he must have died when he was still missing weeks later. It was six month later however,  before his remains were found and it was made official.


Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry
1969-2023

The higher they go, the harder they fall.  This was tragically evident with Matthew Perry.  Seeing some of his interviews this last year, promoting his new book, make it even sadder.  Perry clearly was working at channeling his struggles into something positive and to help other people.  I loved Friends, and I loved me some Chandler Bing.  I haven't been able to watch since Perry's death, when a repeat comes on, I switch the channel.  Look forward to when that stops so I can return to the comfort the sit-come provided for so many episodes and hours.

Perry on Beverly Hills 90210

Ryan O'Neal

Ryan O'Neal
1941-2023

When I first featured actor Ryan O'Neal on FH back in 2014, (HERE) it was a inspired in snark.  I hadn't seen any of O'Neal's movies at the time, and the post was motivated by an image of he and his daughter, and mostly an excuse to feature some of his on-screen nudity.  I didn't think much of O'Neal at the time, but since then, thanks to TCM, have seen Paper Moon and several other of his films.  Not only did I  finally see how gorgeous a man he was, I also saw and enjoyed his talent and on-screen charisma. 


The Big Bounce (1969)

No comments: